We went back to the OB on Monday July 20th for our 16th week checkup. The babies both measured the same 16 weeks and 4 days. They are still a little ahead of what I am supposed to be, but that is fine with me. We thought that we were going to get to know the genders because that is what we had been told. That is what we had told all of our family and friends. They were anxiously awaiting our phone calls. C's mom and step-dad came up and went with us to the doctor. We like sharing these special moments with our family. My mom had been with me before. Each time we go it is a very special occasion. The babies were not as active this time as they were last time. I ate the same breakfast, Eggos with Lite Syrup. You would think that they would have been jumping around, but they just wiggled a little. C and I went into the ultrasound room first. The tech had to get all of the medical stuff and that room is so tiny you can barely turn around. I had been having lots of indigestion and acid reflux the night before and that morning. I started the acid reflux again as I was laying on my back. The u/s tech elevated my head to help me out. She didn't tell me her name. I wish that I had asked because she was the best one so far. I really liked her. She actually had a personality and pointed things out to us instead of staying quite the entire time. The longer I laid there the worse I felt. I started to feel like I was going to pass out. I began seeing black spots. C was down at my feet whispering "are you okay?" I said yes for a while, but then I finally said no. I told the tech and she made me turn on my left side. She said that by laying on my back it puts pressure on some valve in my chest that can cause me to get light headed and pass out. I totally believe that! I thought I was a goner at one point. After all of that she brought the family in so they could see all of the fun stuff.We got to hear the babies heartbeats, which is always amazing! Baby A was 152 and Baby B was 143. Both were good and strong. You can always see them fluttering away. She then was nice enough to point out all of the features to everyone. They jumped around a little, but for the most part just sat still. I know that they family enjoyed it a lot and we were so happy to share that with them. Unfortunately, the tech would not tell us genders. She did look, but said that she just didn't feel comfortable telling us one way or the other. We needed to wait until we were 20 weeks. She thought that Baby A might be a boy because she thought she saw something when she was doing the medical stuff, but then couldn't find anything after that. She said that she never saw anything on Baby B so she would think that she is a girl, but still was unsure. We left the ultrasound both very happy that all was well, but sad that we didn't know the genders. I had to have another vaginal ultrasound to check my cervical length. It was not as bad this time. Everything looked really good. She said it measured way above what it needed to be. I can't remember the number now, but it was good and that is what matters.
We then met with my OB. She went over all of the stats from the u/s. She said that the babies look great and are right on track of where they need to be. That is always a relief to hear. They are right together in weight, length and heartbeats. This should have been an eye opener that they are the same sex. She said that we wanted to see me back in 5 weeks for the "big" ultrasound. I told her about how much we wanted to find out the genders. She gave us the name and number of a lady who used to work for them as a sonographer, but now is on her own doing 2D, 3D and 4D ultrasounds. Dr. K said that she could probably tell us sooner what the genders are. We couldn't wait to call her. As I was checking out C went out in the hall and called. She said that she could work us in that day so we said yes! We couldn't wait another 5 weeks. Heck, we couldn't wait another day!!!
She has a private office with a huge room where she foes the ultrasounds. There was a large projection screen on the wall so the babies looked extra, extra large. I liked it because you could see everything. C and I were so excited to know. She peeked around for a minute or two, but then got busy finding both of their bottoms. She looked at Baby A first. It's a girl!!!!! This is the one where we thought both C and I and the tech saw a talliewacker, but that was wrong. She said that she is all girl!!! She then moved on to Baby B and It's another girl!!!!! She said there was no mistaking this, both are girls. They both have the three stripes that you look for. I will upload those pictures on another post. Being the proud parents that we are, we were both excited. We had kinda hoped that one might be a boy, but not this time. I guess that just means we get to try to do this all over again one day in the future. We'll hope that he might come a little easier. We are thrilled to be having twin girls. Get ready for lots of pink, purple, butterflies and flowers. I can't wait!!
It is hard to let the idea go of not having a little boy, but that just gives me something else to pray for. C and I have always wanted several kids and this may be our wake up call that this is not the end. Had it been 1 boy and 1 girl we might have stopped, but no chance of that now. We might get our wish after all, one big family. We are getting a nice head start with two at once! We can't wait to meet our little girls!!! We have come a long way, but still have so far to go. Always lots to pray for and be sooooo grateful for.
Now all of the fun starts with all of the planning . . .




congrats on your beautiful daughters!
ReplyDeleteEvery single time I try to post you a comment from home I get an error message. I got another internet source. So I reminded myself today to say Congrats to your beautiful daughters. I know you both are so happy. Girls are some much fun...you can buy so many pretty things. KUP
ReplyDeleteLove ya much