Continuation from Anomaly Ultrasound . .
I get wheeled right to admitting. Luckily we had turned in our papers a few weeks before for our delivery so they had all of my info. It didn't take, but 5-10 minutes to get admitted. We were off to a room. They had to put me in a labor and delivery room, which was huge! I had to put on one of those sexy hospital gowns and got hooked up to the Toco machine. That is the machine that measures or detects contractions. They said that I was having some small contractions. It was so weird because I didn't feel a thing!! C headed home to get somethings, because we had nothing. We were not prepared to staying in the hospital. I was thinking just the week before that I needed to make a little bag for the "just in case trip to the hospital." Listen to your gut. I had no idea it would be so soon.
We had to call our friends and family and let them know what was going on. You always hate to worry everyone, but you don't want them to hear it through the grapevine. So those phone calls were made and we had lots of visitors. My high risk OB came in at the end of the day to talk to us. He said that he wanted to keep me on the monitor for a couple of days to see how many contractions I am having and how strong they are. There was also mention about doing a cerclage (this is where they sew the cervix shut). He was very mellow and didn't really say a lot. He said he would come back the next day to check on me. That was a Tuesday. We then got moved to a regular room, which was a much smaller one. It was fine and all the nurses were great.
I stayed on the Toco machine and the nurses would come in and check the babies heartbeats every shift and all my vitals. Some of my days in the hospital run together. I mostly just laid in the bed, watched tv, read and C brought my computer from home so I was able to check my email and such. It did help to pass the time. I was allowed to go to the bathroom and have one shower a day. My high risk doc and my regular OB checked in on me that Wed. There wasn't much to say. I had a lot of irritability, not real contractions. They were a little concerned with that, but said it was somewhat normal for the machine to pick up that since I was a small woman. It would pick up when I took a deep breath. I didn't have a ton of faith in the machine at this point. My contractions would be mole hills compared to the other patients screens that would pop up on my machine. They were having real contractions. Both doctors wanted to wait until Thursday to have a "plan" because that was my next ultrasound.
I went Thursday for my ultrasound and I was lucky to get my favorite girl Kelly. She again was so sweet. She just came to the hospital to fill in for someone so it was luck that I got her. There wasn't anything to get excited about . I was at 1.8cm, jut up .1. The good news was that it wasn't any shorter. That was really good news. My high risk OB, Dr. F, came in late in the day and talked to me briefly. I asked him about doing the cerclage. He wouldn't give me a good answer. He kept going to this recent study that was put out that said that it is not recommended to do cerclages on women pregnant with twins. There is no proof that it helps, but it does put the babies more at risk for rupturing the amniotic sack, preterm labor and infection. He then went on to say that 15 years ago he would recommend doing the cerclage. He also said that he has seen many cerclages save many pregnancies including twin pregnancies. I just couldn't get a straight answer from him. He left things at that and told me to think about it and I could give him an answer on Friday. If I decided to do the cerclage, they would do it over the weekend. So much to think about . . .
Does this Bump Make my Boobs Look Small?
16 years ago




I am pregnant with twins and had a preventative cerclage placed at 11w3d. It is the main reason I am still pregnant. But I have IC and my cervix changes rapidly; a shortening cervix isnt always IC (and there is another mom who blogs who delivered premature twins b/c her cervix shortened and she doesnt have IC; they did an emergency cerclage and she delivered soon after. She didnt have a cerclage with this (single) pregnancy and although she was admitted for several weeks, she is back home on strict bedrest and doing okay). Having a cerclage later in pregnancy does present more risks because there is a higher chance of puncturing the bag and of infection. I know that, if it were me, because my cervix wont stay stable w/o one, I would have it done. But that comes from delivering babies very premature and knowing that they really cant do much to save them. I'd rather have some chance than none; but it also comes from knowing that my cervix wont hold without it. Since you had a scan and your cervix was the same (.1 is within the margin of error so here our MFMs consider anything under a .2 change as stagnant), I dont know... I might just opt for hospital bedrest for the remainder of the pregnancy. Even with the stitch, there is no guarantee you'll go home or not have bedrest. It's a hard decision.
ReplyDeleteA lot of this also depends on the type of cerclage you would have. I have a Shirodkar and wouldnt do a McDonald preventatively. However, in your situation, since the McDonald has fewer risks, I might go for that, if they felt that they couldnt safely do the Shirodkar. Do you know what type of cerclage they want to do?
Praying for you and your family, especially those sweet babies. I know that you are terrified. I've been there and it is horrible. (Heck, I'm still there now in a lot of ways!) There is a lot of good research on emergency cerclages and the IC support boards (even if you dont have it) are good places to learn about cerclages and the outcomes. Some of the stories are hard to read (ie cerclage failures) but the success stories are very heartening.
Sending hugs and prayers.
Oh, dear! I'm sorry to hear that you're in the hospital, but happy to hear that your cervix has stabilized. Thinking good thoughts for you and the babes, and hoping that you get good news on Friday.
ReplyDeleteOh goodness! I am just getting caught up on all your posts. I am sorry you are going through this. Many thoughts and prayers for you and your girls!
ReplyDeleteHang in there! I am sending you good thoughts and keeping you in my prayers!
ReplyDeleteI hope all is well. I've been waiting with bated breath for an update. I realize you had already gone through with all of this by the time you even started posting about it here, so I pray all is still well with you and those baby girls. Please update us when you can.
ReplyDelete