Sunday, March 22, 2009

Appreciation

There are too many stories out there about children who are abused, neglected and plain unappreciated. It breaks my heart to hear these stories, as I'm sure it does for most normal caring people. The other night on the news there was a story of a 2 day old baby that tested positive for cocaine. How sad for that baby. Her mother didn't give her a chance. She obviously cared more for her addiction than she did for another human being, who just happens to be her daughter. I am not a violent person, but I would like to beat the hell out of people like that. She deserves a lot more than a jail sentence, which is what she'll get. Then the baby will end up in foster care and probably end up back with her sorry mother at some point. It seems to be an endless cycle. I hate it!

There is also someone I know who continues to mistreat her baby. She claims that she loves the baby, but says that she "forgot" to put any shoes or socks on the baby when it is 30 degrees outside. It's funny that she remembered hers. Maybe she should go without clothes when it freezing cold and see how she likes it. I know that there have been times when the baby has been eating potato chips and drinking Dr. Pepper. That is sick! What is this mother thinking? The point is that she is not thinking about the baby. She wants to live off the goverment and not get a job like the rest of us. Can you say lazy and selfish? I wish that I could get that baby and bring her to my home where she would be nurtured and loved, but that is not an option. People have stepped into the situation and it doesn't help. She'll do good for a couple of days, then go back to the old ways. Maturity is a big portion of her failure, plus a number of other things. I wish that she appreciated her baby more. She has no idea how precious she is.

3 comments:

  1. sadly, what you mention seems common where we live. I work and volunteer in our elementary school and it breaks my heart, almost daily what these kids go through, live like. I did a one on one position with a fetal alcohol syndrome girl~sweetest ever little thing but her life was ruined before she was born...
    I wish YOU could bring home that little one, you deserve her so much more.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to tell you a story. It's one of my huband's favorites.

    I called the hospital billing dept to get an estimate on how much I needed to pay for my IFV procdure. The billing dept shunted me to the doctor's office billing, who sent me the the hospital's insurance billing dept, who promptly sent me back to the orignal billing dept.

    "All I am asking for is an estimate. I have to write a check to you before I can even get undressed for the procdure."

    She replies. "I can't give you that. There may be complications."

    I respond. "I understand that there may be additional costs. This is not the first IVF that your hospital has performed, nor will it be the last. There is a group of us that will all be having the same procedure performed on the same day. You have to at least have an estimate."

    Silence.

    My husband has come out from his office to listen to me and I try my best to ignore him. "Can you give me this information? Look up the previous months receipts add the totals together and divide by the number of bills."

    (what she said now is lost to me...)

    My response is not. "Can I talk to someone in that hospital that's not an idiot?"

    My husband starts laughing. I hang my head and hang up the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was little my dad died. We moved to the country soon after, and in my new school was a family whose father abused them. They were poorly cared for, grubby, smelly, badly behaved. I couldn't understand why their dad was still alive when he didn't deserve to be, and my lovely, caring, amazing dad was dead. Life is often unfair and God's reasons unfathomable.

    ReplyDelete


DJ and CJ